Nothing beats the warmth of a quality coat in winter. Soft, snug and stylish, our favorite winter coats don’t just keep us warm, they also keep us looking great. The best part is, coats are often timelessly designed. So with the right care, your winter coat will last you season after season.
1. Treat your coat with a lint or suede brush after wearing to remove surface soil and lint.
2. Hang all coats on well-made wood hangers so the weight of the coat doesn’t stretch the shoulder area. Never fold your coat as fabrics tend to take a shape and hold it. Folds or creases in a sturdy fabric can take a long time to disappear.
3. Coats shouldn’t be hung in a cramped cupboard, fresh air helps the material stay crisp. That’s even more reason to take your coat out with you wherever you go!
4. Remove light stains by blotting (never rub!) with cold water or soda water using an absorbent cloth or paper towel.
5. Your coat should be cleaned at the beginning and at the end of the season. Moths are attracted to human scents like perfume, smoke, and food. Professional wet cleaning is an alternative to dry cleaning (which uses lots of harmful chemicals).
6. Empty the pockets of your coat after each use to keep them from sagging or losing shape.
7. If the care instructions say to hand wash, use a mild detergent and lukewarm water and let the item soak for 10 minutes before rinsing in cool water. Never use hot water or bleach on wool or other heavy items.
8. To dry, gently squeeze the garment and lay it flat. Hanging vertically using pegs can ruin the clothing’s shape.