The most common issue every other individual have is of heartburn. But what actually is heartburn? In simpler words, heartburn is a painful fiery or burning feeling which one experiences in the chest or maybe an acidic taste in your throat.
In medical terms, heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux, a condition where stomach acid escapes into the esophagus, the tube that delivers food and beverages to your stomach.
There are certain foods which trigger this issue and you will be surprised to know what can lead to this issue.
- Coffee/Tea- As much as we love coffee and tea, sadly, the excessive intake of both the drinks can result in the heartburn issue.
- Carbonated beverages- from youngsters to adults, everyone is addicted to this one. Research shows that the intake of such beverages is one of the leading causes of the issue.
- Spicy food- If you’re a foodie then you must already know this contributing factor. Spicy food, as well as high-fat foods, slow down the rate of digestion which eventually causes worse heartburn.
- Chocolate- This might be a surprise and an upsetting fact but chocolate is the culprit. While it has its benefits, it also has some drawbacks.
Chocolate contains such compounds which stimulate heartburn issue. This may be due to its fat content, serotonin levels or other naturally occurring compounds.
- Tomatoes- Italian food lovers, this might be sad news but tomatoes contribute in the heartburn issue. Since tomatoes are highly acidic, they are likely to cause heartburn in those who are prone to it.
If you experience frequent heartburn, then you should definitely try cutting the foods causing it and start focusing on a healthy diet. Constant occurrence of this issue can lead to long-term heartburn, known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) which can further trigger many other diseases.