With each day, increasing rape and harrasement cases it is impossible for any woman to feel safe or protected. Instead of being terrified and nervous it is advised to be one step ahead and learn how to protect yourself.
Sad to say, there is no way to detect the presence of perverts in our surroundings. But there are some steps we can take to protect ourselves:
- Speed Dial- Keep a family member on speed dial to contact when you feel unsafe.
- Always carry a pepper spray- This creates a burning sensation on the attacker’s skin and you can save time to run away.
- Use a backpack- Usually, in crowded places, it is easier to protect yourself from behind with the backpack acting as a barrier.
- Phone battery at 100%- Make sure your phone is fully charged when you leave your house, in case of any emergency.
- Share your location- Make sure to share your live location when you are going out late at night or when you start feeling unsafe.
- Lock your doors- When you are out on the road to make sure to lock your doors, especially at the signals.
- Choose a smart route – Try to stick to well-travelled areas even if it is not the most direct path.
- Use the application “Watch over me”- This application can be used in a situation when you don’t have time to call for help, all you have to do is shake your phone and it will turn on your phones alarm, video camera and sends messages to you emergency contacts even if the phone is locked.The company that created it dubbed itself the “Waze of personal safety” stating, instead of giving you traffic updates, it warns you when you’re about to enter a high-crime zone.
Stay Safe and learn to say NO!