Since Bakra Eid is a celebration of eating red meat, and all we do is eat meat and enjoy with our families. We bring you this tempting recipe to share with you all. It is a signature Kashmiri dish where small pieces of goat or lamb leg are braised in aromatic spices. This recipe will bring more taste to your dining table.
- 1 kg goat leg, cut in small cubes
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons freshly chopped ginger
- ½ to 1 freshly diced tomato
- 4 to 5 green chillies, slit lengthwise, (optional, but preferable, this gives it a real kick)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup oil, but with freshly slaughtered meat the animal fat should suffice
Heat oil in a heavy-lidded wok. Fry green chillies and ginger for a minute, adding meat, salt, tomato and black pepper, stir on high heat for a few minutes, until the heat causes the meat to release juices. Seal pot with lid and simmer on low to medium heat for a few minutes, turning the heat to low and cook until meat is tender and falling off the bone.
The meat juices gradually steam and evaporate, sealing in the juices. Slow cook to perfection. Avoid adding water if possible but, if need arises, add a little water to complete the cooking process.
Serve with naan, lemon wedges and sliced onions.